Cannabis seeds are great sources of minerals, vitamins, and healthy fats which are beneficial for a healthy human body functioning. If you are wondering if it causes high, these seeds contain a negligible amount of THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive compound of cannabis. The seeds get contaminated by THC rich trichome on flowers during harvesting, which leaves some of it on its outer shells.
Two tablespoons of cannabis seeds contain up to 90 calories and 6 grams of fat. This herbal plant’s seeds are in use for medicinal purposes since ages. People extensively use cannabis for its several health benefits. Good quality cannabis seeds are brown in color and come in different sizes. Learn to identify quality budget buds to collect the best seeds and look for seeds comparison website that will give an insight to a quality seeds. Let’s explore this abundant source of good health.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
Similar to fish oils, which contain Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, cannabis seeds also are rich in these healthy fats. These fatty acids benefit the human body in the following ways:
- Improve Eye Health- DHA is an essential Omega-3 fatty acid, a natural component of the retina. Reduction of this can cause eye damage and blindness. Consumption of Omega-3 helps retain its balance.
- Reduces Heart Disease- These healthy fats reduce blood pressure levels and increase good cholesterol in the body. The seeds help produce Nitric oxide in the body as it naturally contains amino acid arginine. Nitric oxide helps relax blood vessels and lowers blood pressure.
- Fights Inflammation- Furthermore, cannabis seeds are a source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). These are necessary for proper hormone health. It controls inflammation and body temperature. Production of inflammatory eicosanoids and cytokines are likely to reduce with higher intake of Omega3s.
- Prevents Cancer- Studies claim that those who consume rich sources of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are likely to have a lower risk of colon cancer. It can reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in women.
- Reduces Liver Fat- Obesity is increasing the risk of chronic liver disease. Cannabis seeds are good for weight management. The fatty acids help reduce liver fat in people suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Alleviate Menstrual Pain- GLA aids in controlling Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) symptoms. A study showed its effectiveness in PMS patients, wherein they experienced a reduction of menstrual pain. Patients found omega-3 supplements as more effective than ibuprofen.
- Healthy Bone and Joints- Fatty acids can increase calcium density in your bones. Thus, it can help reduce the risk of osteoporosis and treat arthritis.
Healthy Minerals, Fiber
28 grams of cannabis seeds contain about 2 grams of fiber, 2.8 milligrams of manganese, 15.4 milligrams of Vitamin E, 300 milligrams of magnesium, 5 milligrams of zinc, 3.9 milligrams of iron, and many other essential nutrients. Evidently, these seeds are a great source of antioxidants. Here is a list of some vitamins found in cannabis seeds.
- This high-fiber food can enhance your gastrointestinal system. It helps relieve constipation, keeping bowel movements normal.
- Vitamin A improves brain functioning, vision, skin health, lungs, kidneys, and immune system.
- Vitamin E can help support your immune function, works as an antioxidant, reduces UV damage in the skin, and supports healthy scalp and hair.
- Magnesium is necessary for maintaining bone health, reduces migraine headaches, relieves anxiety, and improves heart health.
- Zinc helps regulate immune functioning, improves learning and memory, and good for skin, eye, and heart health. Additionally, it protects against free radicals and inflammation.
- Iron, as we all know, is one of the most important minerals for blood production. Human cells, especially red blood cells, contain iron. Deficiency of iron may lead to anemia resulting in body weakness.
- Sulfur is another essential element vital for human health. Deficiency of it leads to lower production of insulin. Thus sulfur-rich foods are necessary for enough insulin production. It also helps in maintaining a clear complexion and healthy hair. Sulfur aids in collagen production, which helps reduce acne and remove toxins from the skin.
Cannabis seeds’ protein content consists of 65% globulin edistin. Globulins are simple proteins produced naturally in the human body (liver). It functions as a natural immunity enhancer and protects the body from infecting agents. Imbalance in globulin ration can lead to difficulty in fighting infection and transporting nutrients to the muscles. The globulin edistin balances the body need and maintains a healthy immune system.
These nutty flavored seeds’ protein is equivalent to protein derived from beef and lamb. Thus, it fulfills the need of protein for vegetarians. It also contains all the 20 amino acids, including the 9 essential ones, which our body cannot produce. This makes the seeds a complete powerhouse of protein.
- Skin Health- These nutritional seeds can help improve skin health by supplementing sufficient fatty acids. Proper usage of the seeds can help alleviate dermatitis and eczema symptoms.
- ADHD- ADHD patients have lower blood levels. They suffer from behavioral disorders like inattention and impulsivity. Studies support Omega-3 as an effective treatment, which helps reduce symptoms of ADHD in children.
- Insomnia- The chemical compounds found in the plant works as a relaxant to the body. Similarly, its seeds contain properties which can control mobility problems and relaxes your body muscles. Insomnia patients can incorporate cannabis seeds in proper dosage every night, to attain a relaxing sleep.
Familiarize with your state laws before buying cannabis seeds. In Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is currently regulating the import, export, certification, and grading of cannabis seeds. Whether you are a grower or seller find out the best online dispensary in Canada which meets the regulations of CIFA’s Seed Act and Regulations.
To sum up, a fun fact, cannabis indica seeds sustain for up to 10 years, if stored in the right manner. You can sprinkle them on oatmeal, smoothies, salads, or ground it into protein powder, pressed for oil, made into milk, and so on. It is advisable to visit a healthcare practitioner to check if you have any concerns.
By Jessica Smith